To be honest, what I had really been wanting to make was a Pho. However, when I started looking around at vegan recipes of Pho, the stock has lots of ingredients that I don’t have on hand at home! So, I created something a little different with a coconut milk broth instead. The Pho will have to wait. This did turn out amazing though and was incredibly delicious. I think noodles (instead of the quinoa) would also work really well if you wanted to give that a try.
This is a relatively simple recipe, but it did require quite a few pots and pans! It is worth it though. This made two really decent size serves. It is best eaten right away whilst warm.
GOLDEN TURMERIC BROTH WITH QUINOA & TOFU
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- 1 heaped teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes or one fresh chilli (to your tastes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon miso dissolved in
- 2-3 tablespoons of warm water.
- 1/2 a block of firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon garamsala
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked edamame
- 2-3radish finely sliced
- 1/2 cup broccoli steamed
- Herbs to garnish (I used mint, coriander and Thai basil)
- Black and white sesame seeds to garnish
For the broth, heat the coconut oil and fry the spring onion and ginger for 2 minutes, add the lime leaves, chilli and turmeric and cook for another 30 seconds or so before adding the water and coconut milk. Allow to simmer gently for around 15 minutes.
Turn the heat off the broth and stir in the tamari and miso. Cover and allow to sit until ready to serve.
Prepare the tofu by cutting into small cubes and tossing in the remaining ingredients. Add to a pan and cook until all sides are golden- around 12 minutes or so stirring.
When the tofu is cooked, make sure you have everything ready to assemble the bowl.
Start with the quinoa and then add all ingredients as you like expect for the broth.
Once everything else is in the bowl, for the hot broth over top.
Garnish with sesame seeds and herbs.