I could fill a whole website just with nourish bowls! They are certainly my favourite way to eat. Not only are they visibly enticing, incredibly nutritious and unbelievably delicious, they are EASY to make! Its all about having healthy ingredients on hand.
This bowl took my less than five minutes to prepare- seriously. I did have the rice bubbling away in my rice cooker in the late afternoon, then its simply a matter of cutting up some veggies and adding a good dressing or dip.
Here are a few simply tips for quick and easy nourish bowls:
- Make sure you always have a couple of dips or dressings in the fridge- usually I have a hummus and a cashew cheese on hand, or a pesto or simple tahini dressing.
- Having a few lemons and good quality olive oil and salt in the kitchen are a good idea and are often enough to make any dish tasty.
- Keep a variety of nuts and seeds in the cupboard for easy added protein and crunch.
- Have staples like rice, quinoa, millet, cous cous which make a great warm base for a bowl.
- Keep your fridge topped up with fresh veggies throughout the week.
- And of course- avocados!!!!
Here is the recipe for this bowl. I love black rice at the moment! Its incredibly tasty and wholesome. You can pick it up in health food stores.
BLACK RICE NOURISH BOWL WITH FIGS & CASHEW CHEESE
This serves 2:
- 1 cup of black rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 carrot peeled into ribbons with a peeler
- 1 zucchini peeled into ribbons with a peeler
- a dozen cherry tomatoes
- a dozen slices of daikon or radish
- 2 tablespoons of olives
- ½ an avocado
- 2 ripe figs
- 2 tablespoons cashew cheese
- fresh herbs and seeds to garnish
Place the rice in a saucepan or rice cooker and add 2 cups of water. Allow to cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Add around ¾ cup of black rice to each bowl, then simply add all the ingredients evenly to each bowl in a creative and enjoyable way!
Top with cashew cheese, herbs and seeds.